- I Need To…
Effective January 2, 2013
The Illinois General Assembly declares that access by all persons to public records promotes the transparency and accountability of public bodies at all levels of government. The Will County Treasurer’s Office agrees that it is a fundamental obligation of government to operate openly and provide public records as expediently and efficiently as possibly in compliance with state law.
It is the policy of the Will County Treasurer to make records available under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act, 5 ILCS 140/ et al, whenever the Act permits such disclosures in the public interest.
Freedom of Information Officer
In accordance with 5 ILCS 140/3.5, the County Treasurer will designate one or more officials or employees to act as his Freedom of Information Officer or officers. Except in instances when records are furnished immediately, Freedom of Information officers, or their designees, shall receive requests submitted to the Treasurer’s Office under the Act, ensuring that the Treasurer’s Office responds to requests in a timely fashion, and issue responses under the Act.
Duties of the Freedom of Information Officer
Pursuant to the Act, Freedom of Information officers, upon receiving a request for a public record, shall:
- Note the date the public body receives the written request;
- Compute the day on which the period for response will expire and make a notation of that date on the written request;
- Maintain an electronic or paper copy of a written request, including all documents submitted with the request until the request has been complied with or denied; and
- Create a file for the retention of the original request, a copy of the response, a record of written communication with the requester, and a copy of other communication.
The Will County Treasurer’s Office maintains a website which allows the office to communicate information about programs, office operation, and to facilitate efficient outreach with the public. The website shall also post public information required by the Act.
In addition to the requirements set forth in the Act, the Treasurer’s Office shall publish on its website:
- Responses to frequently requested documents such as unclaimed funds; and
- Electronic copies of all written requests, copies of the response, copies of written communication with the requester, and copies of other communication.